Friday, October 24, 2008

Making Gains.........

Alright, I am finally getting back to a little bit of normalcy in my household! A few meltdowns and sleepless nights later we are finally adjusting to a family of four! I am sure some of you did not know, but Henley was very jaundice after she was born. Her jaundice got so bad that we had to put her under the photo therapy lights at our home. After three days we were able to take her out from the lights, but unfortunately her jaundice numbers are still over the norm. Just this past Wednesday we had to go back in for a biliruben check and her number was 13. The doctors prefer it to be in the range of 10-12. The doctor tells us that sometimes it justs takes awhile for some babies to get it out of their system. The pediatrician says, it is breast feeding induced jaundice, which is apparently common? I do not have to stop nursing or supplement and it is just supposed to run its course! I am just glad I can hold my baby anytime I want and not have to have her under lights! We have been putting her in the front window or taking her outside as much as possible to help with the jaundice, but it is just taking it's good old time leaving! On the up swing she has made great gains in her weight! Due to the jaundice she was even more difficult to keep awake to nurse everyday! All you moms know what I am talking about! When you nurse them they seem to go right to sleep! Well, jaundice makes it even worse if you can imagine. Henley's weight had not returned to her birth weight by two weeks and so they were getting concerned. However, when we went to the doctor on Wednesday she had gained 8 ounces! I was so happy because I did not want to have to supplement with her at all!

Everything is going well and we are all doing great! I have had my mom with me all this week and next week will be the true test! Christian is the one causing problems thus so far and I know it will eventually stop. Christian is not wanting to go to bed and has been crying himself to sleep at his door each night! I know.........it breaks my heart! He just wants to be with his family downstairs and it is difficult to not give in to him! He has had a few meltdowns and seems to want me to hold him exactly at the time his sister wakes up and needs to be nursed! How convenient for him! I am trying to be patient with him and give him special attention when she is sleeping and Brian of course helps alot when he is home! I hear it takes a few months to get better so I have a little while until that happens! Keep us in your prayers and if you have any great advice moms send it our way!

No comments: