Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Food, Food, and more Food

If there is anybody that knows Christian than they know what a terrible eater he has always been...since birth! I have been blessed the second time around with a wonderful eater! Go figure... it would be my girl who loves to eat! I have to worry now that she will grow up and be over weight because of her love for all things edible! In February I started Henley on rice cereal and did that for about a week. Henley soon was bored with that and wanted to move on to bigger and better things! I had spoken to her doctor at her 4 month checkup and he gave me the ok to give her any baby food I would like within reason! I would start with the #1 baby foods and go through those a week at a time. I wanted to make sure there would be no reaction to them. We started with applesauce and she loved it and then we moved on to bananas. Henley seems to love the baby food and literally will eat the whole jar at a time! Whoa big girl...calm down! Christian never did that! EVER!! I guess that is why she is going to weigh more than her brother in a few months! Seriously, I am not lying! There is less than a 10lb difference between them right now!

We had a little set back with the food department because she was given some medicine for colic by the doctor! Yep, lucky me my daughter is a little colicky and it rears its ugly head in the early evenings! The medicine made her very constipated and with the addition to food in her diet she did not poop for five days. I gave her a suppository and yikes, lets just say, GROSS! I decided that I would take her off the medicine and just deal with the fussiness. They wanted to add a laxative to her daily dose of zantac and other meds. I refused to give her all that stuff when she is 5 months old! That is way too much for my little girl! I just increased the zantac dose and deal with her crying! I promise that it is not that bad. In fact, I never would have thought colic until the doctor said it! Everyone tells me that by six months the colic goes away and that is not to far off from now!

Back to the food thing... I am still solely nursing and I feed her solid food once a day in the evening for dinner! I will start increasing that to twice daily in a month or two. I do not think I will try formula with her because it seems to be easier and less time consuming to nurse when she eats food. I can also leave her for longer periods of time because she will eat food and be satisfied! I am trying this out and it is not set in stone! I could change my mind. It would definitely save money to not have to buy formula and she still refuses to take a bottle! I must be doing something right because she is a little chunk! Today we went for a five month check up and she weighed 15lbs and 12oz! I almost fell over because she just turned 5 months and weighs almost 16lbs! Here are some pictures of her eating rice cereal in the beginning and I will post some more later!

No comments: