Saturday, April 2, 2011

My First 10K


If there is anyone who reads this blog and has known me for a very long time, than this will not come as a surprise. Back in the days when I was under 30, I was an avid exerciser. In fact, so much so that my college degree encompasses a healthy lifestyle. I was a personal trainer, I taught aerobics and might have been a little OCD when it came to being active. Weight issues have always been a struggle for me because I am short! There is not much room for weight gain when your 5 feet tall! My answer was to always exercise and TRY to eat healthy.

Once I had children, exercise took a back burner, as many things do when you have kids. There was always something that was more important or that needed to get done. With the lack of eating due to having children and running around crazy...my weight dwindled down to nothing. I thought wow...this is great. I was the smallest I have ever been after having children. Well, I was not so lucky with this last pregnancy. I did not gain much, but for some reason it is sticking around and holding a very tight grip!

I exercise, but really have not made it a priority until this past January! I decided that I was going to train for a half marathon! If everyone in my family (mom, dad, sister) could run full and half marathons...than I needed to step it up! I also knew that once I committed, that there was no backing out! I have to tell you, it was just what I needed to ignite my passion for exercise again! It has now become the one thing I do for myself 6 days a week! I need it, live for it and can not wait for that time each day...to be alone with my thoughts.

A good friend of mine is a runner and we signed up to do this 10K together in February. It would be the first time that I had run 6.2 miles. When I use to run, I never did more than 5 miles, so this would be a milestone for me. I ran the race in 61 minutes, which was a little over a 10 minute mile. I was struggling that morning because I had gone out the night before and had a cocktail or two!!! I know, it was not the smartest thing I have ever done. Need less to say,  I finished in a good time. I also, won a medal for placing 3rd in my age group! How about that? I was shocked when they told me the news! My first 10K and I won a medal!


It was a lot of fun and Brian brought the kids to the finish line. The kids smiling faces were all I saw when I rounded the corner to the finish line...cheering for me! It just does not get any better than that!


An update on my training for the Half Marathon:

It is in Cincinnati on May 1st.
It is called the "Flying Pig"

I have been running every week and I am up to 9 miles. This weekend I will run 9 miles and then next week I will run 11 miles. Than I have a rest week were I do not put to much mileage on my legs. Than the big race week...13.1 miles her I come!

I am so excited that I have made it this far and can not wait for the big day! I have really enjoyed running and hope to continue doing half marathons on a regular basis. In fact, their is a Rock n Roll half marathon in October I am planning on...if anyone wants to join me???

No comments: