Sunday, August 2, 2009

Quit Climbing on the furniture!!!



Christian was a month and 1 day away from turning three this past Tuesday night when the inevitable finally occurred! I think I have done a pretty good job of keeping my little monkey safe! I have been expecting a broken bone or stitches since he turned two! However, I have been successful in avoiding that until now!

I had just drugged Henley with her Aterax to help her sleep because it was 4:00 in the afternoon and she had not slept all day! She was exhausted and was fighting sleep terribly...I had no choice! I had just put her in her crib and come downstairs to do a few things before starting dinner! Christian was being his normal terrible two self and jumping all over the furniture and not listening to my warnings of danger lurking! He continued to stand on this iron waste basket we have in our living room and jump on and off the couch! I am sure you can see were this is heading! I had just threatened him with time out when it happened! I knew instantly this was going to be bad and it was like slow motion! He fell off the couch backwards and kind of rolled off the table and down face first onto the iron waste basket! I do not think I could have gotten to him any quicker than if I would have been standing right next to him...which I was! I snatched him up and instantly the blood was flowing all down his mouth! Thank God that Stephanie the college student that helps me out when Brian is gone was there! I sat Christian on the sink to get a look at the damage and I knew this was bad and we were headed to the hospital for stitches! There was not a doubt in my mind this child had a hole completely through his bottom lip! I think I remained pretty calm...I had Stephanie go get poor Henley who had just fallen asleep and toss her in the car! Stephanie drove while I called the doctor! We have a Children's Hospital close to our house off of Acton Road, but you need a referral! I surely did not want to go all the way downtown! When I spoke to the doctor's office they told me to come there because they could stitch it up for him! Wow! That sounded better than going to an ER and sitting all night long!

Stephanie drove and I held Christian in the back seat and kept pressure on his lip to stop the bleeding! He actually was really good once he stopped crying! I on the other hand was very worried because of were the cut was I did not know how they were going to stitch it without sedating him?!? I was imagining papoose like jackets ( like a straight jacket) that they put children in who fight medical procedures! I knew this was not going to be fun and I was not looking forward to what the evening was presenting me! We get to the doctor's office and go straight back to the room. The nurses cleaned him up and were looking at his cut...they were worried we would be sent to the hospital to have stitches. The doctor that was there would not likely stitch his lip because of the location and they would have had to sedate him! Not looking very good for us and I began hunkering down for a long night! The doctor comes in and takes a look at Christian and flat out said that he would not stitch that area! He thought that we probably could get away with trying the Durabond on his lip? Durabond is basically super glue for human skin. He told us that it should work, but it would be tricky. Everything you read tells you not to use Durabond anywhere near the mouth or eyes! Well this was on his mouth and completely through his lip. They do nothing for the inside of your mouth that just has to heal on it's own. The doctor thinks for a moment and tells me he has to figure a way to do this, but he thinks it can be done. He leaves the room and comes back with two nurses!

Two nurses....are we going to need all theses hands to hold him down? The doctor says, he will scream and cry, but do not worry he is fine! I assured him that would not bother me and I was prepared to hold him down, sit on him...whatever! I was just glad it was not stitches and there was no needle going towards his mouth!

Christian and I had a talk when the doctor had left the room the first time about what was going to happen. I told him that the doctor had to fix his boo boo and he had to listen and do what the doctor tells him too! Once they figured the right angle to hold his head so none of the glue went in his mouth we began! Christian was unbelievable! He listened and did not move a muscle! He was perfect! No crying or anything! The doctor was so impressed and raved about how good he was and he could not believe it!

Christian had glue all over his face and we left with strict instructions to keep it dry and to not pick at it! Many children pick at the glue and if it comes off than you have to have stitches! The good thing is that the doctor said it would leave less of a scar with the Durabond! We were out of there by 5:00! We went and got free TCBY because someone was such a superstar about the whole thing! There had to be a reward!

So the moral of the story is try to be careful...right? So what does our little guy do when we get home? Straight outside riding his bike! Flipped it over twice in the first ten minutes and had two new boo boo's! Seriously...could he be more of a boy? I finally convinced him to come inside and take it easy I was not ready to go back to the doctor again! Whoa what a night and I know the first on many, but at least I almost got to age of three right???

1 comment:

Mizerany Family said...

Poor little guy! Will he be able to swim this weekend?