Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Angels among us!

About two weeks ago my mom and I met up for our long run on Saturdays. The half marathon is coming up and we had a 9 mile run this particular morning. We met at 6:00am because Christian had a t-ball game and pictures too. I needed to be done early to help out with the kids and pictures. It was a really humid and hot morning despite the fact that it was 6:00am. The trail we were running has a lot of wooded areas, so we decided to wait until there was more light out to start our run. My mom and I run at different paces, so we are not usually together and we wanted to be safe. Unfortunately, in our world you never know what or whom might be lurking...Little did we know that when this day was over that would be the least of our worries!

We started our run about 6:45. When I was finished, I called Brian to see if he needed my assistance with the kids. Brian did not need me there until later, so I decided to wait around for my mom. I was there for about thirty minutes and I kept wondering where in the world could she be? What was taking her so long to finish...she should be almost done by now. Then I remembered that I had forgotten to put snacks in the car for the kids after the game was finished. I raced off to the grocery store to buy some and then headed to the t-ball game. When I was leaving the store, I called my mom to see where she was? She was just finishing her run. She had to stop a few times because she got over heated. The humidity was horrible and you could of cut it with a knife. I asked if she was alright and she told me she would meet me at the ball field.

Jumping ahead...we are at the ball field. My father comes running over with Henley and throws her at me. He told me that Mom had passed out and been in a car accident...then he ran off! I sat there for a minute trying to process what he just told me before I ran to get my phone from the car! I immediately called my mom! She answered the phone and told me she was alright? I heard all theses ambulances and fire trucks in the distance and I asked her, “ is that for you”? She said, “yes!" I ran back to the field, ran out on the field and told Brian I was leaving to check on my mom! A huge thank you to all the other moms who took care of Henley, so I could leave so quickly!

Now, I have to back track for a moment. My mother has this disorder. It is a form of Syncope (fainting). There are many forms of this disorder, her’s is called Veso Vego (spelling)? Basically, if she becomes to dehydrated her blood pressure plummets and she just passes out! She has had many episodes throughout her life, but was diagnosed correctly about 10 years ago. My mom has had some serious calls and even stitches, but this by far is the most scary of them all!

The accident took place not even a mile from the ball field. When I turned onto Hwy 31 I instantly saw where it had happened. There was just one thing...I did not see a vehicle anywhere? I stopped and ran up to where the fire trucks and ambulance was. They told me I had to step back...where they @#$% crazy? This was my mother! There was no option of standing back! I ran pass them to where my Dad was standing. My mouth dropped in disbelief to what I saw next. My mother’s car was in the trees! THE TREES!!! She had crossed over the MEDIAN and THREE LANES of traffic and flew into some trees! The fire men were cutting down branches to pull her out the passenger side of her car! If she were to even try to get out of her side door...well there would of been about an 8 foot DROP! Yep, she was in the air! Her air bag had gone off and she seemed to be in more shock than anything! No broken bones, no stitches and no scratches! Now, tell me if angels don’t walk among us? God was in that car...at the very minute, at that very second when she passed out! I am so thankful! My mom is one of my best friends in the world and I thank God everyday for keeping her here with us! My world would of been turned upside down that day and changed forever if any other scenario would of played out!


My Mom’s car in a TREE!!!


They had to cut this side off to pull her out!


When I imagined the unthinkable things that could of happened...I just cried. My Dad is an amazingly strong man! I was the one standing there crying, knowing she was alright, but it was just terribly scary to think about the what if’s! I won’t write them down, but I am sure that everyone can imagine all the other scenarios that could of been!

They took my Mom to the ER to have her checked out. Some of the EMT’s told her that she seemed to be very dehydrated. There you go...there is the culprit! I went to the hospital after the game to check on my mom. A little shaken, but otherwise fine. She usually knows when theses fainting spells are about to happen, so I was not to happy that she did not call after her run. I have to admit I was upset with her for getting behind the wheel of a car when she felt so bad. She told me that she thought she was over heated. Never the less, from now on I told her to always assume that this is the case. The case being she will pass out if she does not feel right.

She has seen her cardiologist and has given the ok to keep running and the go ahead with our race next weekend. The doctor told her that her blood volume is a lot lower than normal and water just goes through her body faster. She should be drinking gatorade when she runs instead of water. He also put her on medication to increase her blood volume and this also will increase her blood pressure too.

This past weekend we did a 11 mile run. I ran with my mom the whole time! This was not the time to worry about pace, time or anything else. The only thing that mattered was that my mom was safe and alive and I was able to run with her!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad your mom is ok. Those photos and story are priceless. Somebody surely has nine lives!