Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Look at our Garden!

I think it was around six or seven years old that I can first remember my parents growing fruits and vegetables in a garden in our back yard. I can not remember if I ate everything they grew, but I know I loved to pick things fresh from the ground. My moms tells me that Christian and Henley remind her of me because they love to pick the fruit and veggies too!

My parents have probably grown or tried to grow just about anything you can imagine. From strawberries to corn and everything in between. Both my parents have green thumbs and have always enjoyed working in the yard...in fact it is one of their favorite past times. I can always find them outside their home on a nice sunny day in the yard! I did not seem to get that gene! I love flowers, but can not seem to keep them alive! Although, the past few years I have been very successful in growing tomatoes, cucumbers, jalapenos and green peppers. These are the things we eat a lot of in our house, so it just seemed like a good idea! There is nothing like a vegetable straight out of your own garden! They are so fresh and yummy! I have been a little crazy about eating organic since the day we had children! I do not go over board, but the basics like milk, meat and a lot of fruits and vegetables ( at least the ones we eat a lot of). When I grow things in my garden, I do it organically! I am telling you there is a huge difference in the taste....yum!

The kids really get into helping me each spring! This year especially because Christian is planting a garden at school and he loves to talk about what he plants! He has shown me many times the flowers that his class has grown.This year I let him help me choose what we would plant in our garden. Wow, I never thought the list would end. I was thinking, I am going to need a bigger garden! He wanted to plant strawberries, watermelon, carrots, corn and just about anything he likes to eat! I had to limit it him to picking a few things on top of the regulars we plant each year. So, we ended up planting tomatoes, a purple tomato (which is supposed to be fabulous), green peppers, red peppers, zucchini, cucumbers, jalapenos and Christian’s picks...strawberries and carrots!





My Strawberries!
Cant wait to pick these!




















Usually, I have these huge terra-cotta pots that I plant in, but this year we switched it up! I decided to buy an above ground garden. I think and hope that with more room to grow, the plants will thrive even more! I will keep you posted!

Hope this fence keeps the dogs and critters out!




One afternoon, Christian and I went outside and put our garden together! We added all the soil and the vitamins and began to plant! I am most excited about the new things we chose this year. The strawberries are by themselves in pots because they overtake a garden. We have already eaten a few and they are delicious! The carrots are starting to sprout up out of the ground. We had to use seeds for them because they do not come any other way. I know one excited child who looks everyday for growth in our garden! We are looking forward to some very tasty food this summer!

No comments: