Thursday, May 26, 2011

Happy Mothers Day to me....



Was not Mother's Day invented to give us wonderful mommies a break? Sometimes I wonder...To all you moms out there who got breakfast in bed, a clean house, a break from the everyday stressors, well you are the lucky ones.

My husbands birthday falls on Mothers Day Weekend. Which is fine except this year he was out of town at a Bachelor party! I have to admit it was sad to not have your children say, Happy Mothers Day because they don't even know what that is? They are 2 and 4 after all. Once we got to church, they figured it out quickly and told me hundreds of times! Christian was especially sweet about it. He is just the most loving little boy. Henley made me a sweet picture in the nursery and the day started to get better.

After church we all three decided to go out and eat lunch. We ate at a place called Zaxby's. This is a chicken place the kids love to eat at. Not exactly a wonderful Mothers Day Lunch, but I had my sweet babies with me and that is all that mattered! After my rubbery grilled chicken salad that took me forever to eat because my children were acting like hooligans...we left Zaxby's. I was thinking to myself...what a great day this is turning out to be.




After I snapped out of my pity party, I got a great idea. We were headed to the Home Depot. For months I have been searching for the right tree. The right tree to plant in honor of our son Gabriel. Recently, I found a tree that just seemed perfect. Perfect in the way that I will always weep for the life we lost, but beautiful in the memories we got to share with him. The tree is called, A Weeping Cherry Tree. If you have never seen one, they are beautiful. I had seen them at many nurseries and had not yet had a chance to get one. Since Brian was coming home that afternoon. I knew exactly what I wanted to do this Mother's Day. This day was not about honoring me, not this year. It was about honoring Gabriel, Christian and Henley. I am the mother I am because of them. These children bring such happiness and joy to my life regardless of the length of time I have known them. They make me who I am today.

When Brian got home, I put him to work. He had to dig a big hole. This was difficult because we don't have good dirt here. We have rocks and clay. I had bought everything we needed to make this tree thrive and be beautiful. I can not wait for the day that it is at it's full potential. He spent the afternoon digging and I went to the store. I was getting dinner cooked for me, which was a nice treat.


After dinner the kids gave me their cards that daddy helped them with and gave me a gift. We then planted our tree in honor of Gabriel. It was a special Mothers Day and a great way to end the weekend. Thanks to my family for reminding me just how much I love you all!

1 comment:

Hands Free Mama said...

Such an honor to know a mother like you, Shannon. I can't wait to watch Gabriel's tree grow and prosper. Thank you.