Friday, October 28, 2011

Kindergartner in the house!!!

On August 11, 2011 our little baby started kindergarten. I still look at him sometimes and can not believe how much he has grown up! Quickly, if I have to admit. Time flies by so fast. It seems like yesterday that we were in the delivery room and he was just born.



















We had many reservations when it came to starting kindergarten this year. The first being that his birthday falls so late in the summer. He barely makes the cut off to start school! However, last year he was in such an amazing school program that we decided he was more than ready intellectually! Besides, what was the worst that could happen? He had so many friends starting school and I knew he would have someone in his class that he knew. Not that it mattered, but I figured it would be a better transition to have someone he knew there too.




The day before school started all the kindergartners went to discover who their teachers were and who was in their classes. I had no expectations of teachers and have heard many stories about different teachers, but would decide for myself once we got started in the year. There were 5 kids that Christian knew in his class, so that was a plus. Having a familiar face would make the first day a little less scary.  None of these children were his good friends, which I preferred. I wanted him to make new friends. If he would of had his best friends in his class than he probably would be in trouble a lot!

The Big Day! We had been starting our schedule for school a few weeks before hand. Getting up by 6:30am would be a challenge for a child who likes to sleep in! Now, our kids go to bed by 7:30 at the latest and get up by 6:30 at the latest! This is great except they get up this early every day...even weekends! This allows a little time to wake up, eat breakfast and get dressed.



The first day was so fun! I think I was more excited than he was! We rode with our good friends the Copeland’s. Since everyone has golf carts out in our community, many people drive the kids to school in them. The school is right in the neighborhood, which is convenient! I drive usually because Henley goes to school right after he does and I have to drive her. However, the first day we took the golf cart! There is a tunnel that goes under the road for the kids to walk through. It leads directly to the school. We picked up Preston, Elijah and off we went. I was not sure what the reaction would  be from the kindergartners...turned out I was more sad than I thought I would be. The first day was the only day that we were allowed to walk the kids to class. I walked him to his classroom and sat him next to the wall in the line outside the teachers door. They are not allowed into the classroom until the bell rings. I stood there with him until he went into class. He was definitely unsure of what was going on, but he kept his composure. A little boy next to him was hysterically crying and I was worried it would upset him, but he was fine. Thank Goodness! I watched him walk into his class with a big smile on his face...then I left.
































As I walked out the door the reality of what just happened hit me. I could not believe my baby was growing up! He was growing up and there was nothing I could do about it. That sweet innocent baby of mine was stepping into the big bad world that I could no longer protect him from! He would now start being exposed to real life and everything that it has to offer. Not that kindergarten exposes you to much, but it is where it starts! Every year forward he will grow up even more and there will be less momma I love you for no reason, less kisses and hugs and no more sharing information. On the other hand, I can not wait to see the little person he turns into. A more dependent, self sufficient little boy.

I could not wait for the end of the day and to pick him up in carpool! I was so excited to hear about his day. How it went, what new friends he made, did he like his teacher, what did he eat for lunch and who did he play with at recess.What he thought about kindergarten? I was pleasantly surprised...he LOVED it! What a relief! I had heard so many horror stories about kids not responding well and he did great! At the ripe old age of 4...one of the youngest in his class, he did wonderfully!

No comments: