Saturday, November 24, 2012

Wrestling

It seems as though there is a reoccuring theme in our household. If at first you don't succeed, try again. The second try for anything around here almost always ends in success. Lets see, dancing, hunting and now the biggest of all wrestling! Those that know my husband, know of his love or his obsession for the sport of wrestling. I must say, it has really grown on me very quickly. There is a lot of skill in this sport and I must say, I am impressed. The outfits are not the cutest by any means, but on a 6 year old they are kind of cute?

We tried this sport last year and it was kind of a joke. Brian has dreamed of Christian wrestling since he discovered he was a boy. I think I heard about it daily for years. Brian even started teaching him moves as soon as he could walk. Honestly, I was worried that Brian would eventually be disappointed when his son did not possess the same love for wrestling. When last year was kind of a bust, I was not sure if this year would be in the cards. The sport was very disorganized last year and there were not many little kids. Christian was not really taught any basics and mostly just goofed around with his one friend that was wrestling too.

This year on the other hand is a completely different story. There are about 10 kids his age and they are breaking the practice up into beginner and advanced. This is allowing the kids to learn the basics of wrestling and the sport itself. The practices are long and twice a week...the only downfall. Brian goes one night a week to help out and truly loves getting back on the mat. I am surprised he has not broken out the old singlet yet! :) haha He has gotten some new wrestling shoes and just gets so excited that Christian is absolutely loving and wanting to learn the sport this year. They have had about three weeks of practice since starting this season. They had a tournament this past weekend, which neither of us thought Christian was that ready to participate. Brian thought it would be a good learning lesson and you have to start somewhere. I have to tell you that I was nervous for Christian and Brian was a complete wreck...could not even eat breakfast. I was not sure what we had signed him up for, but he was super excited.

The tournament starts early at 8:00am. This does not sound early, but when you have to drive 40 minutes, it is early. I packed up both the girls and followed them out to the location of the tournament. I really did not know what to expect. My dad came to help cheer him on and help me with the girls.

Getting ready for his first match!

Getting his Medal!

The one to beat...

 Christian surprised me by winning 4 rounds and was off to the finals to compete for a medal! Awesome job! I am so proud of him and of course Brian is so happy too. I have to say, I can not stand to see my baby getting pinned on the floor. I found myself screaming, pin him, flip him, drive, drive as loud as I could...Brian was even louder. I can really get into this sport, who knew? He went on to win again and then loose to a kid that was most definitely was not in the right weight class. He got fourth out of 16 kids in his division! Not too shabby for his first tournament ever! Brian watched the video back today and they gave two extra points to the last kid he wrestled on accident. There had been a little controversy about it...Brian told him he should of gotten third place, which is true. Oh Well. He had a blast wrestling and had a smile on his face the whole time and that is all that matters to us...We can't wait to see what happens next!
Medal
Proud Daddy

No comments: