Thursday, May 10, 2012

Baby Chiropractor

Those close to us know that since Lucy was born it has been a little crazy. She has had colic, reflux and digestive issues. Along with two other children we have had our hands full. Anyway, the doctors have tried multiple medications and every time the symptoms return. Everyone has told us that colic usually resolves itself by three months, but it has hung around a little. The reflux is even tolerable, but the worst thing is to see your child in pain. Dr. Albert told me that some babies could just use another trimester in the womb and she was one of them. Her digestive system is immature and she gets these horrible spasms...they are very painful. The spasms use to be mostly in the evening and now they happen more often. They become so painful the poor baby sticks her fist in her mouth and tries to bite down on it! It absolutely kills me to see her in this pain. I have tried medications and I have tried a cranial sacral therapist and nothing has worked! I have a few friends who swear by chiropractors and how much they have helped their babies with the same issues. So, I thought why not? We have tried everything else and I am wiling to do anything to help. Today was out first appointment. Since Hen has broken her leg getting anywhere is a challenge and takes much more time. We headed out and were running late as usual. We finally get there and my stroller attachment for the Punkin seat had broken. I strapped the baby to me and put Hen in the stroller. I had no one to hold the door and I hit probably everything on the way in. The baby was crying and Hen was whining because she could not walk and I am sure I looked like a hot mess. Thank God for all the kind hearted people in the world because I had multiple women offer to help me. The chiropractor was amazing and has two young children of her own. She specializes with babies and reflux issues. She started out by asking about the pregnancy was it stressful? Ha...slightly. What about her birth? Was it traumatic at all? Kind of!? Them she preceded to tell me the differences in c-sections and vaginal births. How things just don't turn on neurologically like with a vaginal birth. She also told me that c-section babies have more digestive issues and auto- immune problems then vagianl birth babies. After a thermal scan of her spine and neck she decided to go ahead and adjust her. She could tell Lucy was hurting and wanted to try and give her some relief. I won't get the results of her scan until our next visit and then the chiropractor will decide the course of treatment for her reflux, colic etc..I don't really understand what the scan shows? Something to do with the neurological system. Everything that has to do with anything your body is related to the neurological system. If something is out of whack then basically fixing that problem can fix the issue related to that problem...does that make sense? The chiropractor adjusted her back and neck, which seemed to bring some relief to her discomfort. Some things the doctor did she did not like, but if it helps I am ok with it. She even held her upside down by her feet to check her alignment and it was off a little bit. Something that could have happened in the womb. Her neck is very tight and she favors turning to the right and does not like looking towards the left. We have to do multiple exercises to help loosen that up. All in all she hopefully should have a little relief today from the spasms. Keep your fingers crossed things get better. We go back next week. It all seems a little weird, but if it works everyone will be happier.

No comments: