Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Mystery Reader!

I love Christian being in Kindergarten! There are so many fun things they get to do and the parents get to participate in almost all of it. All year long every Friday, a parent is chosen to be the mystery reader to the class. The parent gets to pick a book and come to class and read to them all. Many parents just read their book, but some go all out. There have been pirates, toys that are given away and yummy treats that always come home. The kids get so excited because they never know who will show up to their class!



I thought it would be fun for Brian to be mystery reader for our first turn. We chose the month of December and I thought we could do something festive for the kids! Since I could not get him to dress up, I had to think hard. The Polar Express comes to mind when I think of the Holidays, so that was the book! Now, what fun things could we do for the kids. The thought of bells ringing all day in class was out, I don't know any elves or reindeer and Santa was not available.









I knew what to do...what kid does not like hot coco? I made a big batch of hot chocolate and took it to class...add marshmallows and happiness to all!

The big thing about mystery reader is just that...it is a mystery. I took Christian to school that morning and he was oblivious at first. He wanted to know why I was going into school too. Then it clicked...he smiled at me and said, "you are the mystery reader today"! I just smiled because he had no idea his daddy was going to walk in the room! I loved watching his eyes light up as Brian walked in the room. He had to introduce him to the class and go around and introduce all his classmates.

Then they pull out a big rocking chair for the reader to sit in and the story telling begins! I poured all the kids their hot coco and they loved hearing the Polar Express! It is so sweet to watch them all get excited about Christmas and Santa! They ask questions about the story and talk about the train ride her in town if they went on it. It was adorable!


I think Brian really enjoyed his time with the kids. He hears so much about the kids in Christian's class and now he can put faces with names.

Here are some pictures!

No comments: